A quick warning: there is precisely zero guitar content in this blog post. I had an adventure last week, jacking up a house, working outside in temperatures of -30 degrees, and some folks asked about the outcome so I am writing this summary. I own a small cabin in the mountains of western Canada. I’ve had… Continue reading How to jack up a house
I was born in Canada and I grew up hundreds and hundreds of miles north of the US border. We may have been a long way north but we still loved to rock and perhaps all the more so because of the 9 months of winter and the 18 hour nights during those winters. So I… Continue reading A few interesting and meaningful Canadian bands
I’ve had a spare neck lying around for some time – an ebony neck for a Telecaster which was never constructed. At the same time, I have been meaning to change the strings on guitar #3 because when I built it, I was experimenting with 8-38 strings and I have learned over time I do not… Continue reading R&R my neck
Just for posterity, I’d like to post some group shots of the electric guitars which I have built. I recently had an accident with my iPhone and I have deleted almost all my guitar photos without realizing it and now this blog is the only place in which I have captured this moment of my… Continue reading Some Family Photos
This is probably my final guitar project – I have too many guitars and despite giving several away, I still own more than I can use – so I decided to build a hard tail Stratocaster, since up until now I have only assembled Telecasters. What makes this guitar a little bit different, apart from the… Continue reading Stratoblender!
I’ve assembled a few Telecasters but up until now I have not assembled a Stratocaster and so I thought I would change that. The Strat I will assemble will have two single coils and a trembucker and some non-standard electronics. I stumbled across this interesting option that Emerson offers in their pre-wired Strat kits and that… Continue reading A Strat Blender
In the last entry, I described how and why guitar #5 came to look as it did. Now it’s finished, having been clear coated, with a satin clear coat and assembled, set up, and tuned. One very interesting puzzle: we used this paint for the copper top coat. This is relevant because once the satin… Continue reading Guitar #5 – finished